We’ve just passed the summer solstice officially welcoming in the quarter of the year we call summer. This is a brilliant time to kick-start a healthy, active and outdoor lifestyle for you and the whole family. Summertime is many people’s favourite time of year. The days are long, the nights are warmer and it’s a great time to get together with loved ones.
There are so many things to do right on your doorstep that are good for your active wellness, all you need to do is put your comfy trainers on, get out there and experience it for yourselves.
Here are some simple summer health tips to keep your summer days active:
1. Cycling. One of the best activities is always a bike ride. When the sun shows its face head for the outdoors. Cycling is a fantastic way to stay healthy because it is a low-impact aerobic activity. Why not pack a picnic and make it a day of adventure for the whole family. Bike rides are one of the best ways to get your children active and having fun outdoors this summer.
2. Going on a walk can revive you. Whether you explore quiet forests, look out over a rugged headland towards the sea or stroll around your favourite park, spending time in nature can give you a sense of peace. According to the National Trust Organisation1, forest bathing (known as Shinrin Yoku, developed in Japan) is the practice of simply being among trees. It encourages being mindful of the nature around you, and has been recognised for its benefits to the mind and body as you breathe in the beneficial negative ions found in abundance in forested areas.
3. Play games outside. Outdoor play helps ensure that you get enough sunlight and that’s good for your body. Even the light we encounter outside on a heavily overcast day far exceeds the lighting we typically encounter indoors. So going outside makes a big difference in the amount of light exposure we encounter. There are many games you can play outdoors such as tennis, football, golf and much more. It’s all about keeping active and having fun!
4. Practice Mindfulness and Appreciation. Our minds are often overburdened with thoughts. If you find your mind in a state of overwhelm, aim to gently and kindly bring yourself back to your breath and the sensation of air flowing in and out through the nostrils. Try practicing active appreciation, acceptance and forgiveness. Life is so much more rewarding and joyful when we focus on the positive aspects of our life.
5. Don’t forget to Hydrate! Proper hydration is extremely important over the summer season. Warmer weather, increased physical activity and more time spent in the sun can easily leave you dehydrated. Conveniently portable, the Nikken PiMag® Water Bottle offers you clean, filtered, alkaline PiMag® water on-the-go. Containing Nikken PiMag® Water Technology, the PiMag® Water Bottle filter cartridge, adjusts the water’s pH value to alkaline 8.5-9.5 range.
29th June 2020