Whether you use your shower to kick-start your morning and get yourself feeling ready for the day ahead or to unwind in the evening, it can bring feelings of refreshment and relaxation.
Your daily shower can do more for your wellbeing than simply make you feel better. Different water temperatures are thought to bring us slightly different benefits too:
Benefits of hot showers –
– Can help reduce cold symptoms. A nice warm shower could help your cold, as the steam vapours help moisturise and decongest your nasal passages when inhaled.
– Good for muscles. A hot shower can be beneficial to your muscles after a tough long workout. It helps with your recovery as it relieves tension in stiff muscles.
– Help to relieve aches and pains. The warmth of a hot shower stimulates circulation, loosening joints and tissues.
– Help cleanse your pores. Blocked pores are the leading cause of spots, particularly on the face. When you have a hot shower, these are opened up, giving you the chance to wipe away any blockages when you cleanse.
Benefits of cold showers –
– Cold showers can help improve facial complexion. Cold water helps to constrict blood vessels to temporarily tighten pores and reduce redness. According to the National Sleep Foundation1, washing your face before bed helps reduce breakouts improving your moisturiser’s efficiency and helps to prevent wrinkles. This may not be exclusive to showering but doing them together is much easier.
– May help to reduce stress levels. If you find yourself stressing about the overwhelming number of things you have to do that day, then taking a morning shower could be a great way to alleviate that feeling.
– Help improve circulation. One study has found that taking a cold shower after exercise may improve general hydration by cooling down the body. As blood travels away from the skin, blood vessels in deeper body tissues dilate. This improves circulation in the deeper tissues2.
Whichever temperature you choose to take your shower in, choose the right shower system for you. With Nikken’s PiMag® MicroJet Shower System (#1466) water passes through a filter – showering down clean, chlorine free PiMag® water to refresh and reenergise your whole body whilst helping to reduce water-born dirt, sediments and odours.
1st June 2020