It’s important to take care of ourselves and get the most from life. Our mental health influences how we think, feel and behave in daily life. It also affects our ability to cope with stress, overcome challenges, build relationships, and recover from life’s setbacks and hardships.
Strong mental health isn’t just the absence of mental health problems. Being mentally or emotionally healthy is much more than being free of depression, anxiety, or other psychological issues.
Mental health issues in one way or another impact us all, whether personally or by someone we know. Despite the fact that talking about issues, including mental health ones, is one of the best ways of dealing with them, almost half of people (47%) also admit they feel uncomfortable opening up about emotions to anyone, especially to people close to them.
This is noticeably higher in men, over half of whom are uncomfortable opening up (52%), compared with two in five women (42%), according to mind for better health charity1.
There are practices that can be adopted to elevate the mood, become more resilient, and enjoy life more. But just as it requires effort to build and maintain physical health, so it is with mental health. We have to focus more on our mental health, simply because there are so many ways that life takes a toll on our emotional wellbeing.
Here are a few tips that men can follow for better mental health:
- Talk to someone you trust, a close friend or family member, maybe even your doctor.
- Consider why you find it uncomfortable asking for help and whether those reasons are actually stopping you from getting the support you need.
- Read more about mental health and the varied guidance and advice that is easily accessible.
- Find a support group in your local area. There are many around that are free and open to anyone. Don’t be afraid to reach out.
Good nutrition and consistent physical activity are the keys to sustained health in general. Nikken’s nutritional supplements are of particular importance in supporting Active Wellness. There are two that specifically address the Healthy Mind Pillar.
– Kasai for men contains lycopene, powered garlic, tomato, pumpkin seed and is designed to help contribute to men’s wellbeing.
– Since the connection between brain function and gut health is critical for optimum results, KENZEN Lactoferrin 2.0® contains four organic ingredients that specifically support the G.I. tract as well as helping to promote better mental health2.
Active Wellness is important, regardless of age, gender or ethnicity. This has been the Nikken approach from the company’s inception and continues. Eat well, exercise daily and stay safe!
15th June 2020