Summer means more daylight hours and warmer temperatures, which makes it a great season for walking outdoors. Walking is known to help release endorphins that elevate our mood and decrease stress levels. When done consistently and enough to increase heart rates, walking can even burn calories and help us lose weight.
Depending on where you live and how hot the summer days get, you can create a walking regimen. In climates that are very hot, it’s best to limit walking to early morning and evenings when temperatures are lower and tolerable. Frequent but short brisk walks are just as beneficial as longer walks. Both help to build stamina and strengthen the heart, so you don’t need to take one long, extended walk to meet your distance goals. You can split up the distance into a few short walks. If counting steps matters to you, then simply wear a pedometer.
There are many ways to incorporate a walking habit into your daily routine. You may walk part of the way to work or even all the way, if it isn’t that far, on your lunch break, or take the stairs whenever possible. Perhaps get the whole family involved and take a walk after the evening meal. Walking helps digestion!
If you haven’t been walking for some time, gradually build up time and distance. Even though walking is a gentle exercise, overdoing should be avoided. Make sure you:
- dress comfortably in loose-fitting clothes.
- dress in light colours if the sun is already up or hasn’t set yet.
- watch out for traffic, depending on where you’re walking.
- carry a water bottle with you and sip regularly.
- wear a visor, sun hat or head covering you feel comfortable in.
- wear shoes that offer good support. If you are hiking or going on uneven terrain, you may need sturdy boots instead of comfy shoes. Make sure you wear your Nikken Kenko mSteps or mStrides for that added comfort and support.
- wear sunscreen everywhere your skin is exposed. You can get sunburned even when you cannot see the sun.
- use walking sticks if you want to work out your arms.
Walking is one of the easiest ways to incorporate daily exercise into an Active Wellness lifestyle. Get everyone in the household involved and see how fast communications improve between generations!
Until 31st August, you can jumpstart your walking habit with fantastic offers on our popular Kenko Insoles and KenkoTherm® DUK Tape – kinetic tape to help support your fitness and your daily activities.
11th August 2022