Berries truly are Mother Nature’s gifts to mankind… and blueberries have some extraordinary powers. Here are a few reasons why blueberries should be a part of your Active Wellness regimen:
1. They’re low in calories but high in nutrient value. One cup of blueberries contains about 80+ calories and 4 grams of fibre, 24% of the RDI for Vitamin C, 36% of the RDI for Vitamin K and 24% of the RDI for manganese.
2. Known as “king of antioxidant foods,” the blueberry contains large amounts of flavonoids. Flavonoids are powerful antioxidants proven to have anti-inflammatory and immune system benefits.1
3. Oxidative DNA damage is unavoidable and believed to occur tens of thousands of times per day in every cell of the body. It is part of the reason we age. As blueberries are high in antioxidants, they can help neutralize some of the free radicals that damage our DNA. In one study, 168 people drank 1 litre of mixed blueberry and apple juice daily. After four weeks, oxidative DNA damage due to free radicals was reduced by 20 %.2
4. Blueberries are considered to be a heart-healthy food because antioxidants are strongly linked to reduced levels of oxidized LDL3,the bad cholesterol that helps cause heart disease. One study determined that eating 75 grams of blueberries with a main meal significantly reduced the oxidation of bad LDL cholesterol.4
5. Eating blueberries regularly may help maintain brain function and improve memory. Antioxidants in blueberries appear to benefit aging neurons, leading to improvements in cell signaling. In one study, 9 adults with mild cognitive impairment consumed blueberry juice daily. After 12 weeks, they experienced improvements in several markers of brain function.5
6. Research suggests that the compounds that give the fruit its blue color may have beneficial effects on insulin sensitivity and glucose metabolism. Blueberries provide moderate amounts of sugar compared to other fruits, with about 15 grams of sugar per cup, equivalent to a small apple or large orange. 6
7. Blueberries may help reduce muscle damage after strenuous exercise. They are believed to help lessen the damage that occurs at the molecular level, minimizing soreness and reduced muscle performance. In a small study of 10 female athletes, blueberries accelerated muscle recovery after strenuous leg exercises. 7
At Nikken, there’s a wonderful way to enjoy your daily intake of antioxidant rich berries with the super fruit juice concentrate Nikken Super Ciaga®. Drink it neat, with water or make into a delicious shake. Simply incorporate a serving of Kenzen Super Ciaga® into your KVB® Meal Replacement Mix. The KVB® Chocolate flavor is delicious with Kenzen Super Ciaga® mixed in.
Organic KVB® Natural Food Mix – Chocolate (#16011) now has a new permanent lower price!
11th February 2019