World Mental Health Day is on the 10th October every year, as recognised by the World Health Organisation1. Its main objective is to raise awareness of mental health issues around the world and mobilizing efforts in support of mental health.
Mental health issues in the work place are common. According to Mind for mental health2 charity, at least one in six workers is experiencing common mental health problems, including anxiety and depression. They might not talk about it, because this is still a taboo subject and many people feel scared and confused about confronting this issue at work. But there are small and simple steps that people can take to look after themselves and make their workplace environment mentally healthier.
Here are some of them:
1. Connect with others. Feeling valued by and close to other people can be a fundamental human need and one that contributes to functioning well in the world. Social relationships can be critical for promoting mental wellbeing for people of all ages.
2. Be Mindful. Reminding yourself of “paying more attention” can strengthen and broaden awareness. Heightened awareness can enhance self – understanding and can allow for positive choices to be made, based on one’s values and motivations.
3. Learn. Continued learning through life enhances self-esteem and encourages social interaction and a more active life. The practice of setting goals has been associated with higher levels of wellbeing.
4. Give. People who have a greater interest in helping others could be more likely to consider themselves as happy.
5. Be active. Regular physical activity is associated with lower rates of depression and anxiety across all age groups. It doesn’t need to be particularly intense sporting activity. Slower-paced activities, such as walking, can have the benefit of encouraging social interactions as well providing some level of exercise.
6. Relax you body and mind. It is well known that a healthy body means a healthy mind. No matter how physical or mentally demanding the work environment is, take time out to relax. Compact and portable, Nikken’s Kenko MagDuo® (#3020) is the ideal massage device for the work place environment. The advanced pair of massaging spheres could reenergise you within minutes! A good massage may help produce positive results even for those who enjoy excellent health. The active surface of Nikken’s KenkoTouch® (#2316) promotes relaxation and relief with moving nodules that produce a firm, slightly yielding sensation. This portable device is easily chargeable with a USB cable.
Now the body is relaxed, your mind will follow… Follow the tips above and make your work place a relaxed and stress free environment for better mental health.